SAP has been one of the leading software in the marketplace. Although, it has undergone multiple changes over the past few years, the software continues to remain at the forefront of the ERP. The software is business-critical as it handles data transactions across the entire business – from sales and marketing, finance to manufacturing and HR. It enables real-time exchange of data and since, many organizations are now migrating to digital operating models, SAP lies at the heart of future competitiveness.
Since, SAP is used by many organizations across the globe, it has led to a remarkable increase in the demand for the jobs of SAP consultants. As a SAP consultant, an individual is responsible to provide expert advice and support to organizations that uses SAP software. Along with this, he/she is responsible to fulfill multiple other responsibilities.
How To Become A SAP Consultant?
Becoming a SAP consultant is not a daunting task. However, there are certain criteria that he/she needs to fulfill to become a successful SAP consultant. For instance, he/she can become a SAP consultant if he/she holds a degree in information technology or management information systems. Along with this, he/she also needs to have several years of experience working with SAP software. Alternatively, he/she can also opt to complete a certification program from SAP which will help him/her obtain the requisite skills and knowledge to be successful in this field.
Along with these, a successful SAP consultant needs to possess the following skills set:
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients and colleagues to get the most out of SAP software.
- Deep understanding of SAP modules.
- Skilled and knowledgeable with verbal communication. This is to enable effective communication with other employees on projects or tasks they are working on.
- Effective presentation skills.
- Keeping presentation crisp and to the point to put across the point rapidly and avoiding the audience from getting distracted.
Does SAP have a future?
SAP consultants help businesses to utilize SAP software effectively. They provide expert advice and support to the organizations that are looking to improve their business processes using SAP. They can work in a variety of roles, such as project managers, process analysts, or system administrators. Working as a SAP consultant comes with a variety of responsibilities. A few of these include:
- Evaluating the needs of a business.
- Identifying how SAP software can be used to meet those needs.
- Designing, implementing, and maintaining SAP systems.
- Training employees on how to use SAP software.
- Analyzing and troubleshooting problems with SAP systems.
- Providing support to customers.
- Providing strategic advice to businesses who use SAP software.
Career Options In SAP
For individuals who hold the required skills set to work as a SAP consultant, there are several career options available in different departments in an organization. To work as a SAP consultant, an individual can take a number of paths. This generally begins with obtaining a degree in information technology or business administration. One can also opt to complete a certification program from SAP to obtain the required skills and knowledge to be successful in this field.
An individual can also opt to become a manager in information technology or business administration. Gradually, as the experience increases, he/she might aim to specialize in finance and asset management or process improvement projects within SAP environments. Alternatively, he/she may opt to become a trainer or instructor for SAP software.
If the person opts for Finance & Asset Management, he/she would be responsible to develop and maintain financial strategies to effectively manage the company’s finances from cash flow management through budgeting and forecasting. He/she would also be engaged in accounting and compliance issues while assisting the finance manager by providing technical expertise. This would be based on the process improvement requirements in projects dealing mostly with accounts payable/receivables or depending upon one’s skillset.
Is SAP A Good Career For Future?
Opting for a career as a SAP consultant can be extremely rewarding for those who are really interested to work in information technology and business administration domains. This designation would give them a chance to utilize their acquired skills set and knowledge in helping businesses improve their efficiency and optimize their use of SAP software.
An individual can opt to become SAP consultant at four different levels. This includes:
- SAP Basic Consultant: He/she is responsible to ensure the successful administration and operation of the SAP software. They also ensure that the software runs smoothly and meets the required needs of the business.
- SAP Functional Consultant: He/she designs and implements business processes using SAP software. They work in close coordination with clients to comprehend their needs and ensure that the software meets the requirements specified by them.
- SAP Technical Consultant: He/she is involved in the development and implementation of SAP software. They understand the client’s IT infrastructure clearly and design a solution at par to their specific needs.
- SAP Business Consultant: He/she provides strategic advice to businesses who use SAP software. They help organizations to optimize their use of the software and improve their business processes.
If you have a passion for information technology and business administration, then SAP consulting can really be a rewarding career choice. With excellent salary and brilliant career growth, one gets a chance to advance in their career while enjoying a challenging work scope.
Interested to become a SAP consultant? Make sure that you complete your certification from SAP, specialize in financial processes, and gain experience working with businesses that use sap software.