SAP’s Commitment To Sustainability And Social Responsibility
There are days when you are seriously concerned about the ecological balance and the ways in which carbon emission is harming the mother earth. And there are others when you are least bothered about all such factors and think only about how to benefit your business. But SAP is one such organization that is committed towards sustainability and fulfills its social responsibility for a healthy environment.
Social responsibility refers to the ways in which your actions benefit the society. SAP believes that it is their responsibility to lead by example. With an aim to attain a world of zero emissions, zero waste, and zero inequality, they have adopted an approach that helps them to create a positive economic, social, and environmental impact within planetary boundaries. SAP’s special focus is on holistic steering and ESG reporting, climate action, circular economy, and social responsibility.
SAP’s Commitment Towards Fulfilling Social Responsibility
SAP is committed towards fulfilling its social responsibility in several ways. Some of these are as mentioned below:
- Zero Inequality in Human Rights: SAP is dedicated towards building a supportive society where everyone thrives. With a commitment to respect and promote human rights across all its operations, extended supply chain, and product lifecycle, SAP enables transparent reporting, the ethical use of AI, and functioning of a responsible supply chain.
- Prioritize Human Health: SAP prioritize human health and mental well-being of people who are working with them. They aid them with ways to perform at their full potential as well as lack nowhere behind in offering required empathy and care.
- Creating a Diverse Work Culture: SAP focuses on creating a diverse and an all-inclusive work culture for its employees. It empowers people to work at their best and drives innovation in its diverse workforce.
- Management of Change: This application by SAP gives its users a confidence to make operational changes to equipment, materials, chemicals, operating conditions, procedures, and organizational structure. The users can also document assessments, approvals, and task completion throughout its process, as well as facilitate growth without any disruption and harm.
- Employee Experience Management Solutions: This solution aims at collecting regular feedback from employees based on their experiences and take the right actions accordingly. This is done to influence engagement, DE&I, productivity, and innovation. The organization also integrates technology and tools into SAP SuccessFactors HXM suite that allows for automated employee listening, analysis, and guided action planning.
- Foster A Culture of Corporate Safety: SAP utilizes Centralized Risk Management (CRM) system to foster a strong culture of corporate safety and manage chemicals safely, monitor industrial hygiene, and reduce environmental impact. They operate safely using the SAP Environment, Health, and Safety Management (SAP EHS Management) that helps to proactively identify, analyze, and mitigate environmental, health, and safety risks.
SAP’s Commitment To Sustainability
With sustainability becoming more and more relevant in businesses these days, SAP has taken a step forward by offering its own range of sustainability management solutions for ESG reporting, climate action, circular economy, and social responsibility. These solutions are available with industry-specific features and are suitable for different functionalities of the businesses that allows them to stay transparent with their data and processes.
Some of the notable achievements of SAP in this domain are:
- Reduction in Carbon Footprint: With a commitment towards reducing the carbon footprint since 2009, SAP is committed to achieving net zero along its value chain in line with a 1.5°C future by 2030, 20 years earlier than originally targeted. By 2023, SAP aims to be carbon neutral in its own operations.
- Reduced Carbon Emissions: SAP is committed to continuously avoid, reduce, and compensate for its carbon emissions. This is planned by using 100 percent renewable energy to run its data centers and own buildings. In 2020, SAP generated 135 kilotons of carbon instead of the anticipated 238 kilotons. This trend continued in 2021, during which SAP’s carbon emissions totaled 110 kilotons, representing an year-over-year decrease of 18.5 percent.
- Lesser E-Waste: SAP has successfully reduced its e-waste by 46 percent tons. The company cooperates with international and local e-waste disposal partners so that all its electrical and electronic wastes (including data center servers, PCs, peripherals, and mobile devices) can be refurbished and recycled.
- Drop in Paper Wastage: Although the company has seen a 125.7 percent rise in its total head count since 2009, it has reduced paper usage by 88 percent (over 73 million pages). SAP Signature Management by DocuSign, a secure, standards-based solution deployed on cloud, has helped in reducing the printing of paper-based contracts by over 224,000 pages in 2020 and about 185,600 pages in 2021.
- Fall in Water Usage: SAP has reduced water usage by 23 percent. This has been enabled by using adiabatic cooling technique (evaporative cooling), and closed water circuit to minimize water consumption for cooling the server racks and using water as efficiently as possible.
- SAP Cloud for Sustainable Enterprises: To help businesses manage their carbon footprint, reduce material waste, and become a socially responsible business, SAP has offered a range of comprehensive cloud-based sustainability solutions. These include ESG reporting solutions to connect environmental, social, and financial data holistically to drive businesses toward better decisions; climate action solutions to reduce the carbon footprint of the entire value chain (scope 1 to 3) based on actual business transactions; circular economy solutions to incorporate circularity into supply chain and create corporate sustainability models; and social responsibility solutions to understand the impact of business on people and society.
SAP Ensures To Meet Your Sustainability Needs & Fulfill Social Responsibility
The list does not end here. SAP works with various government organizations, businesses, and partners to attain a sustainable environment and fulfill its social responsibility. Now is the time for other organizations to join hands with SAP and take their steps forward to develop a better environment for the people to live-in.