SAP (Systems, Applications, and Products) is one of the largest enterprise software companies in the world. Founded in 1972 in Germany, SAP has grown to become a global leader in enterprise software, helping businesses of all sizes and in all industries to run better. While SAP is well-known for its enterprise software solutions, there are several fun facts that many people may not know about this tech giant. Here are ten of the most interesting fun facts about SAP.
- SAP was originally developed for IBM customers The founders of SAP initially developed the software for IBM customers who needed a way to manage their business operations. However, IBM decided not to pursue the project, so the founders of SAP decided to continue developing the software independently.
- SAP was developed by IBM employees SAP was founded by five former IBM employees: Dietmar Hopp, Claus Wellenreuther, Klaus Tschira, Hans-Werner Hector, and Hasso Plattner. These five entrepreneurs left IBM to start their own company and create software that could be used on any computer.
- The company’s first product was a financial accounting system SAP’s first product was a financial accounting system called SAP R/1. Released in 1972, it was designed to help companies manage their financial operations more efficiently by allowing them to manage their financial transactions on a single computer system.
- SAP has more than 200 million users worldwide SAP’s software is used by more than 200 million users in more than 180 countries, making it one of the most widely used enterprise software solutions in the world.
- SAP is the world’s third-largest software company As of 2021, SAP is the world’s third-largest software company by revenue, behind Microsoft and Oracle.
- SAP is used by many of the world’s largest companies SAP’s software is used by many of the world’s largest companies, including Coca-Cola, Nike, Procter & Gamble, and Siemens.
- SAP has more than 100,000 employees As of 2021, SAP has more than 100,000 employees in over 130 countries. This makes SAP one of the largest employers in the tech industry.
- The company’s headquarters are in Germany SAP’s headquarters are located in Walldorf, Germany. The company also has offices in more than 180 countries around the world.
- SAP is involved in many philanthropic initiatives SAP is involved in many philanthropic initiatives, including the SAP Foundation, which supports education and entrepreneurship programs around the world.
- SAP has acquired more than 200 companies Since its foundation, SAP has acquired more than 200 companies to expand its software offerings and capabilities.
- SAP has its own programming language SAP has its own programming language called ABAP (Advanced Business Application Programming), which is used to develop applications for its software platforms.
- SAP has a cloud-based software platform SAP offers a cloud-based software platform called SAP Cloud Platform, which enables businesses to develop and run applications in the cloud.
- SAP has a strong commitment to sustainability SAP has a strong commitment to sustainability, and has set a goal to become carbon-neutral by 2025. It has also planned to use 100 percent renewable energy by 2023.
- SAP has its own professional certification program SAP offers a professional certification program for individuals who want to become experts in its software solutions.
- SAP has won many awards for its software SAP has won many awards for its software, including multiple awards for its SAP S/4HANA solution, which is designed to help businesses run more efficiently.
- SAP is constantly innovating SAP is constantly innovating and developing new software solutions to help businesses run more efficiently and effectively.
- SAP is a major player in the sports world SAP is the official technology partner of the German national football team and has worked with several other sports organizations, including the NBA, NHL, and NFL.
- SAP is also a major player in the fashion industry The company has worked with several fashion brands, including Hugo Boss and Tommy Hilfiger, to help them improve their supply chain management and customer experience.
- SAP has developed several innovative technologies over the years This includes the SAP HANA platform, which is a high-performance in-memory database that can analyze large amounts of data in real-time.
- SAP has made significant contributions to the field of AI The company has developed several AI-based solutions, including SAP Leonardo, which helps companies to develop and deploy AI applications quickly and easily.
- SAP is also committed to diversity and inclusion The company has set a goal of increasing the percentage of women in leadership positions to 30 percent by 2022 and has launched several initiatives to support underrepresented groups in the tech industry.
- SAP customers are mostly SMEs More than 80% of SAP customers are small and midsize enterprises (SMEs).
- SAP’s corporate venture has invested in IT startups at global level Sapphire Ventures, SAP’s independent corporate venture firm, has invested in more than 150 IT startups globally since 1996.
- SAP helped businesses drive their digital cloud transformations SAP’s s-innovations for lines of business in industries built on SAP HANA aimed at helping customers drive their digital and cloud transformations.
- SAP’s Business Network brings together several business solutions SAP Business Network, touted as the largest network of its kind, brings together Ariba, Concur and Fieldglass into one operating unit.
SAP is more than just an enterprise software company. It is a global leader in innovation, sustainability, and diversity. Its software solutions are used by millions of people around the world, and its commitment to sustainability and philanthropy make it a leader in the technology industry.
While SAP may be best known for its enterprise software solutions, the company’s impact extends far beyond the tech industry. As SAP continues to grow and evolve, it will be exciting to see what new innovations and initiatives the company will launch in the future.